The 4th of July is almost here, and we absolutely love this holiday. Between the fireworks, the cookouts, and all things star-spangled, we can’t get enough! So many families and friends get together to celebrate Independence Day, so we thought we’d share our favorite dessert for the special occasion. Patriotic parfaits are a mix of fruit, cake, whipped cream topping and sprinkles. No one will be able to resist this treat!
Take a shortcut (or two)
We’re all about simple and easy when it comes to the kitchen, and we took a few shortcuts for this recipe. While we could bake our own cake to use for these patriotic parfaits, we skip that step and use store bought cake instead. Any variety will work, but we picked up vanilla pound cake found in the bakery section of our local grocery store. Just throw away the container after you cut the cake into bite-sized pieces and your secret will be safe!
Another shortcut is buying pre-made whipped cream topping in a can. Again, this is something we could actually do on our own, but it would double the time it takes to create this treat so we opt for the shortcut. We promise no one will know or care!
Patriotic parfaits are red, white and blue — and oh so yummy, too! These can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Another option is letting kids join in the fun and build their own parfaits when dessert time rolls around.
- Store bought cake
- Whipped cream topping
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Wash berries and set aside to dry.
- Cut cake into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Cut strawberries into small, bite-sized pieces.
- Combine strawberries and blue berries in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mason jar or dish layer cake, fruit, and whipped cream topping.
- Repeat layers and top with sprinkles.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.