Deep in the trenches of parenthood, we try to savor the “golden hour” of our day. You know, that hour right after the last little one has been sweetly tucked into bed (after three stories, a song, a back rub, and four glasses of water), and just before you pass out from the sheer exhaustion of the day. Ah, it’s magical. During this wondrous portion of our day, we reflect on the days events, recount what we actually managed to cross of our ever growing to-dos, savor the giggles that we shared, and give ourselves a pat on the back surviving another day. We accompany this with our softest pair of yoga pants, the latest in trashy reality television, and a nice heaping bowl of wine ice cream.
That’s right, we said wine ice cream.
We stumbled upon this yummy little concoction that can only be described as genius. Two of our favorite pleasures rolled into one makes for the perfect “wind down” treat. Not to mention it’s achievable in just a few easy steps.
Wine Ice Cream
Prep time: 10 mins
Total time: 3-4 hours
– 3/4 cup of wine (Aim for a sweeter wine if you can. For this recipe we used a resiling for the white and a pinot noir for the red.)
– 3 tablespoons of fine grained sugar
– 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
– 1/4 cup of chocolate chips, crushed
– Medium sized tupperware container or similar sized freezable container
– Chocolate, berries, or candy for garnish (optional).
1: Pour wine and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
2: Add the heavy cream and stir until the mixture starts to thicken. (For the red wine stir in crushed chocolate chips.)
3: Scoop mixture evenly into freezable container.
4: Place container into freezer for 3-4 hours.
5: Scoop and enjoy!
What do you do to chill out at the end of your day?