Do you want to build a snowman? No? (Sorry, is that stuck in your head now?) What if we told you you could let your little ones build one without leaving the warmth and comfort of your own home? With just a few steps and some ingredients that you probably already have in your cupboard, you can make your own play snow that will provide hours of fun and giggles for all involved… no wet, soggy mittens necessary!
This super easy play snow is a great indoor activity for those blustery winter days when it is just too cold to play outside, but your children have begun to get a
lot little stir crazy, which simultaneously tends to make mommy a lot little crazy. It is so much fun, and is a great activity to provide much needed sensory play for active little hands and minds.
Easy DIY Play Snow
What you need
- 3 cups baking soda
- 1/2 cup hair conditioner, preferably white so that it looks like real snow
- Plastic container or large pan to use for play area
- Fun tools for creative play: beads, toothpicks, ribbon and craft eyes to make a snowman and Playdoh tools work great, too.
1. Mix baking soda and conditioner together in a large bowl.
2. Stir together with spoon until somewhat crumbly in texture. Snow should be moldable, like sand.
3. Place snow in container and let play begin!
The snow is cool to the touch, so it feels similar to real snow. It molds easily, smells fabulous, and, surprisingly, provides very little clean up. With just a quick post-play wipe down, and quick once over with the vacuum, all remnants of your snow play will be gone.
As an added bonus, the snow can be stored for future use. If it becomes dry, just add a little extra conditioner to the mixture, and voila — you are set to go for hours of more snow fun!